Thursday, May 7, 2015

DIY Canvas Art

I purchased these wall decals on Etsy a few months back.



 I LOVE them but was having some difficulty committing to a place to hang them.  I knew once I did they were done and I didn't want to change my mind, as I have frequently, and them essentially go to waste.

So they sat, and sat, and sat, and sat some more.  They even made it out of the shipping tube once to get flattened out, then back in they went because I couldn't decide.

At least I know myself well enough to know to wait if I am not 100% sure.  Right?!?!?!

Fast forward 3 months, on a shopping trip with my sister we spotted a canvas with similar wording that I liked but wished the wording was just slightly different.

She said to buy it, I said I couldn't justify it when I already had the decals, that I preferred, at home un-hung because of an apparent wall art commitment issue that I have.  Who knew?

She suggested to put my decals on a canvas.  D'OH!

D'OH!  D'OH!  D'OH!

She is the funny one, I am the smart one.  Why the hell didn't I think of that?

D'OH!  D'OH!  D'OH!

So now she is a GENIUS!  What a simple and smart idea.

I measured the size of the decal and the intended space to hang it and decided on this canvas found here.

Wait for sales, EVERYTHING at Hobby Lobby will eventually go on sale, just wait for it. 


I could have, and wanted to, paint it something fun and colorful, however, I settled on this.


Yes, spray paint.  Super easy, fast and affordable and it also happened to be the PERFECT gray!  It looks fantastic to boot!

So why did I choose to go plain, simple and colorless, when it is TOTALLY not my style.  First, this will likely get moved and I wanted it to be neutral enough to fit in wherever it may land.  Second, I REALLY liked that gray.  Third, I wanted the text to be the focal point, not the canvas.  Last, it is going next to these (quite possibly the FIRST art I made for the house, still LOVE these). 





Anything too busy and it may clash and just become too distracting.

So here she is.



Do you love her as much as I do???

This happens to hang in our entryway and is SUCH a nice thing to see when I walk in the door. 




So glad my super genius sister came to the rescue.  Less than $25 for completely customized wall art.  Can't beat it.  



So pleased this turned out well.  Living in a bi-level home presents some design challenges and the entry way is no exception!  That wall at it's tallest is over two stories.  My Dashman came to the rescue with getting these hung.  I was hanging over the stairs like a crazy lady trying to reach the wall. Amusing, however not safe. 




LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE.  Seriously, LOVE this!!!!!

1 comment: