Thursday, April 16, 2015

DIY Chalkboard Paint

My experience with store bought chalkboard paint has been less than wonderful, FAR, far less than wonderful.  That stuff is expensive and BOTH cans we purchased turned out to be duds.  Wouldn't mix together, very clumpy, no chalkboard results were achieved, there was sadness.  

Not to be defeated and REALLY wanting a chalkboard pantry door, I took to pinterest to find a solution.


1 cup of latex paint
  • any shade and any finish
2 tablespoons of unsanded tile grout

mixing container
paint stick
foam brush / roller
fine grit sander

Truth, it is REALLY that easy!!!

Seriously, mix together, paint a few thin coats, bam, DONE!

The directions I found said to sand between each coat, I only did if I noticed an uneven area between coats.  When I was finished I did it a very quick once over with a sanding block. 

Condition your new chalkboard by rubbing the side of a piece of chalk over the surface.

One of the most wonderful things about this, for me, was that I could use any paint I had on hand and had the ability to make it any color I wanted. 

ENJOY!

Here is our door, most often used for tic-tac-toe games amongst friends.  This was one of our first house projects when we moved in, still love it, so much so I am trying to convince the big guy to let me make our largest kitchen wall chalkboard, so far I am failing. 



That gold, brass, hideousness of a knob is getting the boot soon, stay tuned!


2 comments:

  1. I love the words you have written up there, so cute! I think a chalkboard wall would look fantastic in your kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicki! Big guy still keeps voting no on that one! I used that wall instead to make out gallery wall.

      Delete