Who doesn't LOVE a good Philly Cheesesteak? This type of recipe is totally up my alley, I'm not much a of a bread eater, so those same great flavors, minus the bread is a winner for me.
8 oz. Thinly Sliced Roast Beef ( lunch meat works fine, leftover steaks do as well )
8 Slices Provolone Cheese or 8 oz. shredded mozzarella ( or any combination thereof )
2 Large Green, Red or Yellow Bell Peppers
1 Medium Sweet Onion – Sliced
8 oz. Baby Bella Mushrooms – Sliced
2 Tbs. Olive Oil
1 Tbs. Garlic – Minced
Salt and Pepper – to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Wash peppers and cut in half lengthwise, remove ribs and seeds.
- Heat butter, garlic, onions and mushrooms in a large skillet, saute 8 - 10 minutes until onions become translucent.
- While onion and mushroom mixture is cooking, prep the peppers. I poke holes in them and pre-cook for about five minutes. It avoids underdone peppers as well all of their water ending up in your stuffing mixture. I then fill them with cheese and cook for another 3 - 5 minutes, just until the cheese melts.
- Slice the roast beef into strips and add to pan. Cook another 2-3 minutes or until hot (assuming the meat is pre-cooked... if not, cook meat first until done).
- Spoon the meat/onion/mushroom mixture evenly into the bell peppers. Top each pepper with the remaining cheese and bake for at least 10 minutes ( at this point everything is already cooked ) until the top layer of cheese is melted to your level of doneness.